Our Lady’s Christmas Reflections concert took place 9th December in Our Lady of Good Aid Cathedral, Motherwell, in front of a packed audience, including invited guests from local parishes, Chief Executive of North Lanarkshire Council, Councillor Jim Logue and other local councillors, representatives from Learning and Leisure Services, Our Lady’s Parent Council and PTA, headteachers from our associated primaries, and Mr Derek Hannan from Braidhurst HS.
Pupils braved the cold of the entrance to sell Christmas cards to the audience as they arrived. All of the cards were designed by S1 as part of their Art and Design work.
After a welcome from PTs Performing Arts, Mrs Mitchell and Mrs Glover, the Senior Wind Band performed Classical Christmas, followed by With each sunset, a gorgeous melody which the band had recently played at the National Concert Band Festival event in RSAMD, Glasgow.
The Flute Ensemble played a beautiful, spine-tingling rendition of Away in a Manger, followed by the Saxophonists’ cheerful Santa Baby, and the String Group’s lovely Winter Song.
The Clarinet Group provided a funky Rudolf the Red-nosed Reindeer, followed by another Away in a Manger, this time with the Vocal Group singing the carol to a different melody, accompanied by flute soloist, Claire Friary.
The Senior Wind Band reassembled for an amusing take on the Twelve Days of Christmas. Emily, played by Stephanie O’Raw, is charmed, frustrated, and finally driven to extreme measures by the unusual gifts, with musical interpretations to match. It certainly caused smiles and laughter in the audience (and a few members of the band got the giggles as well).
More music from the Guitar Group’s Secret Agent and the Saxophone Quartet’s Christmas Medley, followed by the Junior Band playing Pachelbel’s Christmas, which featured Pachelbel’s Canon, played behind a medley of Christmas songs.
The French Horns then played When a Child is Born, after which the entire choir assembled for a truly haunting O Holy Night, followed by Somewhere in my Memory, with a solo from Stacey Tollan, and solo glockenspiel from Lucy McCarron. Absolutely stunning.
The choir was then joined by the whole Senior Wind Band for Silent Night. The concert ended with Hark the Herald Angels Sing, choir and band accompanying the whole audience.
Well over a hundred Our Lady’s pupils took part in the concert, with many other staff and pupils providing assistance with transporting and setting up equipment. Mr Love’s vote of thanks commented on the huge amount of work and effort that had gone in to the event, noting how the beautiful surroundings of the Cathedral added a special sparkle to the pupils’ performances. Special thanks to Canon Carey for allowing the use of the Cathedral.
Most importantly, the stars of the show:
- Senior Wind Band: Michael Brunton, Paul Byrne, Rachael Brunton, Olivia Carson, Christopher Costello, Katie Cunningham, Gerard Dempsey, Joseph Dempsey, Michael Devlin,Jade Dollochin, Andrew Dunn, Iain Dunn, Claire Friary, Paula Jane Graham, Kieran Kane, Sarah Kane, Monica Kane, Elizabeth Low, Victoria McBride, Rachel McCann, Lucy McCarron, Cairan McCarroll, Matthew MacDermid, Clare McDevitt, Katie McElhinney, Nicola Meechan, Luke Mulholland, Julia Perrie, Lisa Rattigan, Rebecca Salemi, Joseph Smith, Christopher Tyrrell. Special thanks to Angelo D’Ambrosio for stepping in at the last minute.
- Flute Ensemble: Claire Friary
- Saxophone Ensemble: Lauren Donnelly, Dana McMahon, Paula Simpson, Mairi Smith, Christopher Tyrrell
- String Group: Aidan Bonnar, Mhairi-Clare Burns, Amy Cassidy, Louise Elliot, Lauren McShannen, Eloise O’Brien, Ryan O’Kane, John Robertson, Colette Rodgers, Erin Togneri
- Clarinet Ensemble: Victoria Cook, Julia Perrie, Rebecca Salemi
- Vocal Group: Katie Cunningham,
- Guitar Group: Robyn Delaney, Luke Duncan, Craig Johnstone, Kieran Kane, Chloe McAlpine, Christopher Mulholland, Luke McMahon, Lisa Rattigan, Liam Shaw and Music Instructor, Martin Cooper
- Saxophone Quartet: Lauren Donnelly, Dana McMahon, Paula Simpson, Mairi Smith
- Junior Band: Daniel Davis, Katie Devlin, Gregor Donnelly, Matthew Dunn, Sarah Garrity, Rachel Hands, Andrew Harding, Nicole Kane, Michael MacDermid, Rachel McCann, Bobbie Nicol, Ronan O’Dowd, Erin O’Neill, Megan O’Raw, Peter Robertson, Stephen Ross, Joseph Smith, Katie Tyrrell, Clare Louise Verrecchia
- French Horn Group: Katie McElhinney,
- Choir: Maryjane Carroll, Amy Cassidy, Victoria Cook, Sarah Crawford, Katie Cunningham, Kirsty Findlay, Claire Friary, Paula Jane Graham, Nicole Kane, Debbie Kelly, Laura Kelly,Rachel Lamarra, Rachael Liddell, Elizabeth Low, Stephanie McCarron, Sarah MacKenzie, Nicole Mathieson, Chloe McAlpine, Caitlin Mullan, Caragh O’Brien, Eloise O’Brien, Jessica O’Brien, Megan O’Raw, Stephanie O’Raw, Julia Perrie, Lisa Rattigan, Deborah Ann Robertson, Sophie Robertson, Paula Simpson, Kelly Tollan, Stacey Tollan, Caitlin Welsh
Many thanks to all the staff who helped with rehearsals, preparations and organisation of every kind, including Bothwellpark High School, Mrs Anderson, Mrs Clements, Mrs Cooper, Mr Couper, Ms Dysart, Mr Fairley, Mr Findlay, Mrs Glover, Mrs Johnston, Mrs King, Fr Miller, Mr Miller, Ms Miller, Mrs Mitchell, Mrs Mulholland, Ms Murray, Ms Murray, Ms Steinert, Mr Woods, Ms Waddle, Mrs Zambonini, the school admin team and the janitors.
If anyone’s name has been missed out, please report it to Mrs Macfadyen, either in person or by adding a comment on this website (click on the word Comments at the top).